Medical Health Requirements for 2017-2018 School Year

Dear Parents,

As the 2016-2017 school years comes to an end, it is a good time to tell you about our health program, how to upload your 2017-2018  medical forms into our DDC Medical Module and information regarding the New York State Regulations.


Under New York law, we are prohibited from admitting any student without a certificate of immunization from a health care practitioner.  The immunizations required vary by age and grade. Your health care professional, the school nurse, your local health authority, or the NYS Department of Health can advise you of the immunizations your child must have for admission to school.  If you provide us with a health care practitioner’s certificate that your child is in the process of receiving the required immunizations, your child may attend school while proceeding with the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices catch-up schedule.  If a student fails to comply with the catch-up schedule, the student must be excluded from school within 14 days. If you are transferring to our school from out-of-state or another country and are in the process of obtaining proof of immunization or a certificate of immunization, your child may attend for 30 days while providing the required documentation.

If you cannot afford the immunizations, your local health authority will administer or arrange for the administration of the immunizations.

If you believe you have a legitimate exemption or deferral from immunization under New York law, your application must be approved by the HALB Executive Office prior to the expiration of the state-mandated time periods.  Your application may be rejected, in which case we will advise you of the reasons. Medical exemptions or deferrals, if granted, must be reissued annually.  Without a certificate of immunization or an approved exemption, a child will not be permitted to attend classes.  

A new student will not be admitted without complying with the state law.

N.Y. State Law requires a signed and dated certificate of Immunization and Health Appraisal form from a physician or health clinic to be on record for each entering student for grades 2nd, 4th, 7th and new students to HALB. It is crucial that required records are uploaded and submitted BEFORE the start of the school year. Students without required record on file will be unable to attend school in September.


Because of new NYS Immunization requirements, all students are required to submit updated physical exam records, INCLUDING updated immunization records. CAMP FORMS ARE NOT PERMITTED.

****Also, any student participating in a sport must have a current physical on file before tryouts.  Please be sure to have your physician sign the INTERSCHOLASTIC FORM (page 2) and upload the form as well.

Please note some changes in immunization requirements for the 2017-18 school year: 7th and 8th graders now are required to have 1 dose of the Meningitis vaccine. 4 doses of the Polio vaccine are now required instead of 3 in grades 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, and 8th.  2 doses of the Varicella vaccine are required in grades 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, and 8. All 6th graders are required to have 1 dose of the T-dap in 6th grade when they turn 11 years old.

Any child without documentation of the required immunizations/Physicals will be excluded from school until such documentation is received.


Screenings done throughout the year include: vision for grades 1, 2, 3, 5, 7 and new admits.  Hearing is done for grades 1, 3, 5, 7 and new admits.  New Admits are screened for color blindness and near vision as well. You will be advised if further follow up is necessary.

NY State Regulations for screening may change for the 2017-2018 school year. Parents will be notified of any changes.


Any child with a contagious illness must stay home from school. Please notify the health office of such illnesses, for example: chicken pox, strep throat, lice, conjunctivitis, flu, mononucleosis, and any other non-contagious significant illness.


No medication can be administered in school unless a medication permission form is filled out and signed by you and your doctor.  The medication must be given to the Nurse with the forms in order for it to be administered in school. Medication must be in a labeled prescription container. Tylenol and Advil cannot be dispensed unless the student brings into the Health Office their own personal bottle with their name on it and has the permission formed filled out!! All students taking prescription medications during school hours must inform the nurse.    

Students who carry their own inhaler/Epipen, must provide the Health Office with a “Self-Carry Medication form”. This form is only meant for Epipens or Inhalers.


Please make sure to include all necessary emergency contacts as well as physician’s name and phone number when filling out your information. Every effort will be made to contact you in the event of an emergency.


Please submit all forms online using the DDC Medical Module.  Log onto the DDC parent portal ( with your username and password that you used for report cards and/or from your initial application process. (If you have forgotten your password click forgot user name and password.  The password and username will be sent to you).  After logging in, click on My Account and then Medical Forms.

Complete all sections online.  

We will no longer accept paper forms. Please DO NOT send in the mail over the summer. We will not receive it. You must upload your completed forms on to this portal. Please do not upload photos of forms.

If you need technical assistance, please email Ruthi Seidenfeld at


Wendy Weiss, RN

Devora Pechman, RN

HALB School Nurses (Grades1-8)

516-432-8285 ext.109

516-432-6444 fax